Sr. Specialist Solutions Engineer
Being part of the Specialist Solutions Architect (SSA) organisation, you will guide customers in building big data solutions on Databricks that span a large variety of use cases. You will be in a leading customer-facing role, working alongside and in support of the Solution Architects, which requires hands-on production experience with Apache Spark and expertise in other data technologies. You will help customers through design and successful implementation of critical workloads while aligning tier technical roadmap for expanding the usage of the Databricks Lakehouse Platform. As a deep go-to-expert reporting to the Technical GM, you will continue to strengthen your technical skills through mentorship, learning and internal training programs and establish yourself in an area of speciality - whether that be performance tuning, machine learning, industry expertise, or more.
The impact you will have:
- Provide technical leadership to guide strategic customers to successful implementations on big data projects, ranging from architectural design to data engineering to model deployment.
- Architect production level workloads, including end-to-end pipeline load performance testing and optimization.
- Become a technical expert in an area such as data management, cloud platforms, data science, machine learning, or architecture.
- Assist Solution Architects with more advanced aspects of the technical sale including custom POC content, estimating workload sizing, and custom architectures.
- Provide tutorials and training to improve community adoption (including hackathons and conference presentations)
- Contribute to the Databricks Community
What we look for:
- 3+ years experience in a customer-facing technical role with expertise in at least one of the following:
- Software Engineer/Data Engineer: query tuning, performance tuning, troubleshooting, and debugging Spark or other big data solutions.
- Data Scientist/ML Engineer: model selection, model lifecycle, hyperparameter tuning, model serving, deep learning
- Data Applications Engineer: build out use cases that extensively utilise data - risk modelling, fraud detection, customer life-time value, etc.
- Experience with design and implementation of big data technologies such as Spark/Delta, Hadoop, NoSQL, MPP, OLTP, and OLAP.
- Maintain and extend production data systems to evolve with complex business needs.
- Production programming experience in Python, R, Scala or Java.
- Deep Specialty Expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Experience with scaling big data workloads that are performant and cost effective
- Experience with Development Tools for CI/CD, Unit and Integration testing, Automation and Orchestration, REST API, BI tools and SQL Interfaces, e.g. Jenkins
- Experience designing data solutions on cloud infrastructure and services, such as AWS, Azure or GCP utilising best practices on cloud security and networking.
- Experience with ML concepts covering Model Tracking, Model Serving and other aspects of productionizing ML pipelines in distributed data processing environments like Apache Spark, using tools like MLflow.
- Experience in implementing industry specific data analytics use cases.
- Degree in quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research)
- Benefits allowance
- Equity awards
- Paid parental leave
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Business travel insurance
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.