Sr. Engineering Manager - Platform
At Databricks, we are passionate about helping data teams solve the world's toughest problems — from making the next mode of transportation a reality to accelerating the development of medical breakthroughs. We do this by building and running the world's best data and AI infrastructure platform so our customers can use deep data insights to improve their business. Founded by engineers — and customer obsessed — we leap at every opportunity to solve technical challenges, from designing next-gen UI/UX for interfacing with data to scaling our services and infrastructure across millions of virtual machines. And we're only getting started.
If you are looking for an unparalleled opportunity to build the next generation big data processing platform, and learn how to launch hundreds of thousands of VMs a day at scale while running thousands of Kubernetes clusters, you have come to the right place. The platform team builds and manages the core systems powering Databricks, allowing it to seamlessly scale and run across various geographic regions/clouds, and making Databricks the go-to product for big data processing in the cloud.
As an Engineering Manager on the Platform team at Databricks, you will lead your team to build highly available, scalable and reliable platform that is essential to the business. You will be responsible for delivery of products and features shipped by your team. You will work with strong engineers and customers to help ensure that we continue to build excellent products with new and improved features.
We develop and manage some of the largest scale software systems on the planet. The teams are at the forefront of the Cloud revolution, building highly scalable multi cloud infrastructure and distributed systems to launch millions of virtual machines a day, generating terabytes of logs and processing exabytes of data every single day. At our scale, we regularly observe cloud hardware, network, and operating system faults, and our software must gracefully shield our customers from any of the above.
The impact you will have:
- Hire great engineers to build an outstanding team.
- Support engineers in their career development by providing clear feedback and develop engineering leaders.
- Ensure high technical standards by instituting processes (architecture reviews, testing) and culture (engineering excellence).
- Work with engineering and product leadership to build a long-term roadmap.
- Coordinate execution and collaborate across teams to unblock cross-cutting projects.
What we look for:
- Great at hiring and developing high caliber talent, especially leadership
- Great at devising efficient processes that increase velocity and quality
- Managed teams that build and operate high volume distributed systems in a SaaS environment
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and building services on top of containers
- Has experience scaling engineering orgs from 5 to 30+
- Team player that will work with other departments (PM, Sales, CS)
- BS or higher in Computer Science, or a related field
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Business travel accident insurance
Pay Range Transparency
Databricks is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The pay range(s) for this role is listed below and represents base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, depth of experience, relevant certifications and training, and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Databricks utilizes the full width of the range. The total compensation package for this position may also include eligibility for annual performance bonus, equity, and the benefits listed above. For more information regarding which range your location is in visit our page here.
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.