At Databricks, we are passionate about enabling data teams to solve the world's toughest problems — from making the next mode of transportation a reality to accelerating the development of medical breakthroughs. We do this by building and running the world's best data and AI infrastructure platform so our customers can use deep data insights to improve their business. Founded by engineers — and customer obsessed — we leap at every opportunity to tackle technical challenges, from designing next-gen UI/UX for interfacing with data to scaling our services and infrastructure across millions of virtual machines. And we're only getting started.
In this role, you will work closely with leaders across the company, within engineering, as well as with product management, field engineering, recruiting and HR. You will be responsible for ensuring sustained hiring of the highest quality talent, organizational design and alignment with peer/partner teams within and outside engineering and robust processes for efficient execution against product strategy.
The impact you will have:
- Deliver a high quality compute fabric and platform abstractions for resource, access control and environment management
- Ensure high SLAs across owned services (at least 4 9's, low/no regressions)
- Grow a world class team of software engineers working on our compute fabric. Increase headcount by 10+ engineers in next 18 months, with continued growth beyond that according to product objectives. Hire top-notch staff+ level talent
- Ensure consistent delivery against milestones and strong alignment with the field working "two-in-a-box" with product leadership
- Evolve organizational structure to align with long term initiatives, build strong "5 ingredient" teams with good comms architecture
- Manage technical debt, including long term technical architecture decisions and balance product roadmap
What we look for:
- Can ensure the team builds high quality and reliable infrastructure services. Experience being responsible for testing, quality, and SLAs of a product. Previous experience building and leading teams in a complex technical domain, such as on distributed data systems or database internals
- Ability to attract, hire, and coach engineers who meet the Databricks hiring standards. Can uplevel existing team via hiring top-notch senior talent, growing leaders and helping struggling members. Can gain trust of team and guide their careers. Experience managing distributed teams preferred.
- Existing experience building and running cloud platforms -or- demonstrated ability to quickly learn new concepts in the SaaS space (e.g technical background and fast learner).
- Comfort working cross functionality with product management and directly with customers; ability to deeply understand product and customer personas.
Pay Range Transparency
Databricks is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The pay range(s) for this role is listed below and represents base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, depth of experience, relevant certifications and training, and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Databricks utilizes the full width of the range. The total compensation package for this position may also include eligibility for annual performance bonus, equity, and the benefits listed above. For more information regarding which range your location is in visit our page here.
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.