Staff Software Engineer - Observability
At Databricks, we are obsessed with enabling data teams to solve the world’s toughest problems, from security threat detection to cancer drug development. We do this by building and running the world’s best data and AI infrastructure platform, so our customers can focus on the high value challenges that are central to their own missions.
Our engineering teams build highly technical products that fulfill real, important needs in the world. We constantly push the boundaries of data and AI technology, while simultaneously operating with the resilience, security and scale that is critical to making customers successful on our platform.
We develop and operate one of the largest scale software platforms. The fleet consists of millions of virtual machines, generating terabytes of logs and processing exabytes of data per day. At our scale, we regularly observe cloud hardware, network, and operating system faults, and our software must gracefully shield our customers from any of the above.
The impact you will have:
As a software engineer in the Runtime Observability team, you are responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining observability solutions that provide insights into the health and performance of our products and infrastructure. In this role, you will
- Collaborate with different teams to identify metrics that allow engineers to observe how well the overall system and different subcomponents are performing.
- Build tooling and infrastructure that will enable components to emit, log, and aggregate metrics that can be displayed on dashboards as well as used for alerting.
- Scale the observability solutions to support millions of instances and billions of queries per day.
- Develop processes and training for developers and field engineers to debug performance and reliability issues affecting customers.
What We Look For:
- Experience in software development, preferably in large scale distributed systems
- Familiarity with metrics collection, health monitoring, and observability tools
- Ability to build strong working relationships with developers and field engineers to facilitate triaging and mitigation of performance and reliability problems.
- Ability to drive large cross functional projects involving multiple teams. Provide appropriate guidance on developing large scale systems that can handle billions of queries per day.
- BS (or higher degree) in Computer Science, or a related field
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Business travel accident insurance
- Mental wellness resources
Pay Range Transparency
Databricks is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The pay range(s) for this role is listed below and represents base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, depth of experience, relevant certifications and training, and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Databricks utilizes the full width of the range. The total compensation package for this position may also include eligibility for annual performance bonus, equity, and the benefits listed above. For more information regarding which range your location is in visit our page here.
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 9,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Lakehouse Platform to unify their data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow, Databricks is on a mission to help data teams solve the world’s toughest problems. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.