Sr. Software Engineer - Performance
At Databricks, we are passionate about enabling data teams to solve the world's toughest problems. We do this by building and running the world's best data and AI infrastructure platform so our customers can use deep data insights to improve their business. We constantly push the boundaries of data and AI technology, while simultaneously operating with the resilience, security and scale that is critical to making customers successful on our platform. Databricks develops and operates one of the largest scale software platforms; the fleet consists of millions of virtual machines, generating terabytes of logs and processing exabytes of data per day. At our scale, we regularly observe cloud hardware, network, and operating system faults, and our software must gracefully shield our customers from any of the above.
As a performance engineer, you will work closely with multiple teams across the company to evaluate the performance of products and features, identify performance bottlenecks, and partner with engineers to solve performance and scalability issues. This implies, among other teams, setting performance targets for various software releases, guiding teams to develop performance benchmarks, running competitive benchmark analysis for different Databricks products, doing deep dive analysis to identify performance issues and fix them.
The impact you will have:
- Identify performance limitations of the entire stack based on telemetry, customer signals, PoCs, and competitive benchmarks, that will result in the best performing system across the industry, when resolved. Dimensions include latency, data and compute scalability, concurrency, cost, and price to performance ratio. Impact spans all cloud providers and all major areas.
- Set the performance expectations for all cross-cutting efforts early on through specialized benchmarks capturing the intended customer user journeys, and make sure they are met before deployed to customers.
- Understand the performance characteristics of the compute instance types, storage layers, and all cloud services Databricks depends on and deploy optimal solutions to meet the customer demand.
- Work with customers to root cause and mitigate performance problems during production, previews, and POCs.
What We Look For:
- BS (or higher degree) in Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience in the performance analysis discipline. Ability to identify performance issues, root cause problems, and be able to come up with potential solutions.
- Experience in software development, preferably in large scale distributed systems
- Ability to measure and document the impact of performance features to existing customers, such as possible regressions for certain workloads, their extent, and which customers will be affected.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with developers and field engineers to facilitate triaging and mitigation of performance problems.
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Work headphones reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Business travel accident insurance
Pay Range Transparency
Databricks is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The pay range(s) for this role is listed below and represents base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, depth of experience, relevant certifications and training, and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Databricks utilizes the full width of the range. The total compensation package for this position may also include eligibility for annual performance bonus, equity, and the benefits listed above. For more information regarding which range your location is in visit our page here.
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 10,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, Grammarly, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Data Intelligence Platform to unify and democratize data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe and was founded by the original creators of Lakehouse, Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.