Sr. Legal Counsel, Litigation & Investigations
While candidates in the listed location(s) are encouraged for this role, candidates in other locations will be considered.
The Senior Counsel, Litigation and Investigations will be responsible for managing the strategic defense of domestic and global claims and litigation and partnering closely with the Databricks Employee Relations team on complex and sensitive investigations. You will be responsible for providing risk-adjusted advice on a broad range of projects and employment law matters as assigned.
You will be strategic, and highly organized and have the skills, drive, and flexibility to support and accelerate this leading technology company, addressing cutting-edge legal issues. This is a full-time position based in Denver, Seattle, or Washington DC, reporting to Databricks' Senior Director and Associate General Counsel, Global Employment and Litigation.
The impact you will have:
- Oversee outside counsel including management of budgets, directing litigation strategy, reviewing and finalizing pleadings, mediation/arbitration statements, and settlement agreements.
- Actively manage the strategic defense of complex domestic and global claims and litigation, effectively and within budget.
- Investigate and respond to attorney demand letters and other pre-litigation matters, including communicating with opposing counsel and negotiating resolutions.
- Manage and oversee legally required investigations in partnership with Databricks' Employee Relations team, including reviewing, revising, and finalizing investigation reports and providing pragmatic advice regarding remedial measures.
- Provide risk-adjusted advice to Databricks' People Team and other business partners on employment-law-related matters for various locations as assigned.
- Support litigation-related aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and strategic investments, including due diligence and related integration efforts.
- Build and maintain a global litigation function, including identifying and implementing process improvements that allow the business and the function to scale for growth. Demonstrate excellent legal and business judgment, a willingness to take on challenging issues, and grow in an increasingly dynamic business environment.
- Assess the business and legal landscape to anticipate potential litigation and disputes and provide proactive advice to the business to mitigate legal risks.
- Support Legal department, team-related, and other business projects as assigned.·
What we look for:
- JD from an accredited institution licensed to practice law in Colorado, the state of Washington, or Washington, DC.•
- Prior tech sector experience preferred, including cloud services and big data
- Strong aptitude for working in a highly dynamic environment and desire to work in a highly dynamic to work on complex legal issues and in new global regions as Databricks expands, we continue to expand
- 10+ years of litigation/litigation management, investigations, and employment law experience; law firm and in-house experience required
- Extensive experience (10+ years ) managing the strategic defense of complex domestic and global claims and litigation effectively and within budget.
- Experience supporting the litigation-related aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and strategic investments, including due diligence and related integration efforts.
- Fluency translating legal advice into practical, risk-adjusted, business-oriented advice
- We ask that you have strong interpersonal skills well within a team; the ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is critical.
- Extensive experience building strong cross-functional relationships
- Highest level of integrity and business ethics
- Ability to build strong relationships quickly and work with all levels within the business with ease
- Demonstrated client-service focus and a bias for action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Assess quickly the latest situations and develop practical options to respond to and resolve risks
- Strong aptitude and appetite for identifying and developing critical process improvements
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) Plan
- Equity awards
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Family Planning
- Gym reimbursement
- Annual personal development fund
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Pay Range Transparency
Databricks is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The pay range(s) for this role is listed below and represents base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, depth of experience, relevant certifications and training, and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Databricks utilizes the full width of the range. The total compensation package for this position may also include eligibility for annual performance bonus, equity, and the benefits listed above. For more information regarding which range your location is in visit our page here.
Databricks is the data and AI company. More than 10,000 organizations worldwide — including Comcast, Condé Nast, Grammarly, and over 50% of the Fortune 500 — rely on the Databricks Data Intelligence Platform to unify and democratize data, analytics and AI. Databricks is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices around the globe and was founded by the original creators of Lakehouse, Apache Spark™, Delta Lake and MLflow. To learn more, follow Databricks on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Databricks, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great care to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals looking for employment at Databricks are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
If access to export-controlled technology or source code is required for performance of job duties, it is within Employer's discretion whether to apply for a U.S. government license for such positions, and Employer may decline to proceed with an applicant on this basis alone.